From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 23:23:59
1 On Thursday, 24 March 2022 22:04:48 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 2:35 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote: <SNIP>
4 >
5 > > > System Settings -> Audio
6 > > >
7 > > > should show your playback devices. Possibly the setting got switched to
8 > > > an HDMI output on your video card or to the chipset sound device
9 > > > and isn't USB at the moment?
10 > >
11 > > As I said, I do see all three sound devices there. I can switch them each
12 > > on and off, and assign the kind of output I want from them. I do that,
13 > > and using the Test buttons I hear nothing.
14 > >
15 > > --
16 > > Regards,
17 > > Peter.
18 >
19 > Sorry, if that was actually in the original post I just didn't understand.
20 >
21 > Jack's response to you was more complete and duplicates my thinking
22 > about how to approach debugging.
23 >
24 > To answer one of your earlier questions, but I doubt it applies in the
25 > case of a simple USB sound device, it is possible for other programs
26 > to program certain sound cards in ways that Alsa & pulseaudio would
27 > not know about. I've used an RME HDSP9652 studio sound card
28 > for about 15 years. It has 52 inputs, 52 outputs and lots of internal
29 > hardware routing that general Linux sound doesn't know about and
30 > cannot control. It's configured using two apps (hdspconf and
31 > hdspmixer) to do a lot of special things that are recording studio
32 > specific. At times I've misused these programs and had a lot of
33 > mysterious problems. That said I think it's very unlikely anything
34 > like this applies in your case, but technically it's possible.
35 >
36 > Good luck getting this solved. Weird stuff.
37 >
38 > Mark
39
40 I usually troubleshoot such problems as Peter has, by creating a vanilla user
41 account to compare settings against my normal user. Using diff between the two
42 accounts ~/.pulse files tends to reveal anything lurking in the undergrowth.
43 'pactl stat' may also reveal any user differences.
44
45 Another thought, it may worth checking group membership, audio and plugdev/
46 usb(?), are the same for all users. I mention this, because some recent
47 update had me adding a user to the usb group to be able to use a USB scanner,
48 which for many years had worked fine with plugdev membership only.