From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:05:12
1 On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 2:35 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > > System Settings -> Audio
4 > >
5 > > should show your playback devices. Possibly the setting got switched to
6 > > an HDMI output on your video card or to the chipset sound device
7 > > and isn't USB at the moment?
8 >
9 > As I said, I do see all three sound devices there. I can switch them each on
10 > and off, and assign the kind of output I want from them. I do that, and using
11 > the Test buttons I hear nothing.
12 >
13 > --
14 > Regards,
15 > Peter.
16
17 Sorry, if that was actually in the original post I just didn't understand.
18
19 Jack's response to you was more complete and duplicates my thinking
20 about how to approach debugging.
21
22 To answer one of your earlier questions, but I doubt it applies in the
23 case of a simple USB sound device, it is possible for other programs
24 to program certain sound cards in ways that Alsa & pulseaudio would
25 not know about. I've used an RME HDSP9652 studio sound card
26 for about 15 years. It has 52 inputs, 52 outputs and lots of internal
27 hardware routing that general Linux sound doesn't know about and
28 cannot control. It's configured using two apps (hdspconf and
29 hdspmixer) to do a lot of special things that are recording studio
30 specific. At times I've misused these programs and had a lot of
31 mysterious problems. That said I think it's very unlikely anything
32 like this applies in your case, but technically it's possible.
33
34 Good luck getting this solved. Weird stuff.
35
36 Mark