From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:35:25
1 On Wednesday, 23 March 2022 17:20:53 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:15 AM Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > <SNIP>
7 >
8 > > The machine is ~amd64 running Plasma. I log in via SDDM, but even if,
9 > > instead, I log in first and then startx I still get no sound. I haven't
10 > > touched ALSA; it's whatever Plasma wanted to support its audio process.
11 >
12 > So by 'Plasma' you imply KDE to me. Am I correct in that?
13
14 Yes, as Wol said.
15
16 > > What floors me is that two users on the same machine get different
17 > > results.
18 >
19 > Agreed but if it's KDE then generally that implies pulseaudio and users can
20 > have different configurations. Assuming generalized KDE for the moment,
21 > then
22 >
23 > System Settings -> Audio
24 >
25 > should show your playback devices. Possibly the setting got switched to
26 > an HDMI output on your video card or to the chipset sound device
27 > and isn't USB at the moment?
28
29 As I said, I do see all three sound devices there. I can switch them each on
30 and off, and assign the kind of output I want from them. I do that, and using
31 the Test buttons I hear nothing.
34 Regards,
35 Peter.