From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} A simple routing problem
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 03:45:54
1 On Tuesday 18 December 2012 09:09:16 AM IST, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
2 > On 12/17/2012 07:26 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'm stuck with a routing issue:
6 >>
7 >> I have a DD-WRT router, which has one WAN port and four LAN ports
8 >> with WiFi.
9 >>
10 >> I have a fiber connection which is connected by dialing PPPoE using
11 >> pppd on the router, so I have no choice but to connect the fiber
12 >> connection on WAN port.
13 >>
14 >> I have yet another (much slower) ADSL link, with it's own router
15 >> (LAN-only). I'm trying to connect the router to the DD-WRT router's
16 >> LAN port. I'm able to access the router, but routing through the
17 >> gateway (the ADSL router) fails.
18 >>
19 >> Here's a simple diagram:
20 >>
21 >> The LAN network I'm using on DDWRT is 192.168.0.0, which is the
22 >> LAN network for the internal side and WiFi.
23 >>
24 >> The fiber connection is obviously public network.
25 >>
26 >> The other ADSL connection can be configured to change subnet, it
27 >> has a LAN side and WAN side.
28 >>
29 >> How I can I route through the ADSL router without requiring a
30 >> separate NIC/network for it?
31 >>
32 > what exactly are you trying to route? traffic out to the internet over
33 > the ADSL? or just trying to connect the machines on that router to the
34 > fiber line and route all traffic from both out on the fiber?
35 >
36 > -Kevin
39 Actually my fiber connection has a smaller limit than the ADSL
40 connection. I am trying to use the fiber connection for all activities
41 except some torrent downloading for which I want to use my ADSL
42 connection.
43 Once I'm able to route through the ADSL gateway, it would be easy for
44 me to setup another ip on eth0 on my machine on which transmission
45 could listen. All traffic on that ip would be routed through ADSL and
46 otherwise the fiber.
49 Nilesh Govindarajan
50 http://nileshgr.com