From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python2 problem
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 17:06:35
1 On 8/8/21 5:12 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi, I am trying to install the ssspsk python module using pip for python
3 > 2 (for tuya-convert) but its not working.
4 >
5 > I have installed python 2.7 from portage and followed the wiki (set
6 > python_targets, emerge -NuDv etc.), however pip seems to only know how
7 > to install for python3.
8 >
9 > For python 2.7 do I need to go completely manual for installation?
10 >
11 > BillK
12 >
13 Gentoo's dev-lang/python package configures Python --without-ensurepip,
14 meaning that pip will not be installed alongside this package by
15 default. There is a separate dev-python/pip package providing pip, but
16 it appears this package only supports Python 3 targets (which is
17 reasonable as 2.7 is no longer supported upstream).
18
19 If you *really* need Python 2.7, you could modify the ebuild of
20 dev-lang/python-2.7 to enable --with-ensurepip, or you could try to make
21 the dev-python/pip package support the python2_7 target, or you could
22 download the source from python.org and configure/build it yourself into
23 a separate directory.
24
25 However, it is probably worth first checking if there is a release of
26 the software you want to use that supports Python 3 instead.
27
28 cal