From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python2 problem
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 17:28:23
1 On 9 August 2021 1:06:23 am AWST, cal <cal@×××××××××.technology> wrote:
2 >On 8/8/21 5:12 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> Hi, I am trying to install the ssspsk python module using pip for python
4 >> 2 (for tuya-convert) but its not working.
5 >>
6 >> I have installed python 2.7 from portage and followed the wiki (set
7 >> python_targets, emerge -NuDv etc.), however pip seems to only know how
8 >> to install for python3.
9 >>
10 >> For python 2.7 do I need to go completely manual for installation?
11 >>
12 >> BillK
13 >>
14 >Gentoo's dev-lang/python package configures Python --without-ensurepip,
15 >meaning that pip will not be installed alongside this package by
16 >default. There is a separate dev-python/pip package providing pip, but
17 >it appears this package only supports Python 3 targets (which is
18 >reasonable as 2.7 is no longer supported upstream).
19 >
20 >If you *really* need Python 2.7, you could modify the ebuild of
21 >dev-lang/python-2.7 to enable --with-ensurepip, or you could try to make
22 >the dev-python/pip package support the python2_7 target, or you could
23 >download the source from python.org and configure/build it yourself into
24 >a separate directory.
25 >
26 >However, it is probably worth first checking if there is a release of
27 >the software you want to use that supports Python 3 instead.
28 >
29 >cal
32 Thanks, I'll look into this.
33 BillK