From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:26:05
1 Am Dienstag, 7. August 2012, 01:02:29 schrieb Philip Webb:
2 > Just an observation : when I updated Libre Office & Firefox this week,
3 > neither compile used swap (I have 4 GB RAM);
4 > OTOH when I did them the previous time, both did use swap;
5 > the total time & the HDD usage remained almost the same.
6 > In between, I updated the Kernel 3.0.0 -> 3.4.0 ,
7 > but made no other changes in config files etc.
8 >
9 > Does anyone have thoughts re the effect of kernel versions on swapping ?
10
11 different kernel versions are more or less swap happy. Has always been the
12 case.
13 (I remember 2.2.10 - extreme swapping even with lots of ram... and 2.2.14 - no
14 swapping at all...)
17 #163933