From: Brian Parish <bmp@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating RAID devices - udev question
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:39:04
1 On Sunday 13 November 2005 17:23, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 11/12/05, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 13 November 2005 01:49, Brian Parish wrote:
4 > > > I am trying to add a software RAID 5 disk set to an existing machine
5 > > > installed using genkernel. All the RAID support is compiled into the
6 > > > kernel, but no /dev/md? device files exist. I can create these using
7 > > > mknod and make the RAID, but they don't survive a reboot. How do I tell
8 > > > udev to create these files as persistant devices?
9 > >
10 > > All partitions in the RAID set need to be set to partition type fd (Linux
11 > > raid autodetect), then the kernel will build the arrays during startup.
12 >
13 > FYI, this is only true if the raid drivers are compiled into the
14 > kernel (no modules), and you do _not_ use an initramfs to boot the
15 > system. If you use an initramfs, the kernel skips the autodetection
16 > of raid arrays.
17 >
18 > -Richard
19
20 I did and it does (skip that is). Thanks again Richard.
21
22 Brian
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list