From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating RAID devices - udev question
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:28:10
1 On 11/12/05, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 November 2005 01:49, Brian Parish wrote:
3 > > I am trying to add a software RAID 5 disk set to an existing machine
4 > > installed using genkernel. All the RAID support is compiled into the
5 > > kernel, but no /dev/md? device files exist. I can create these using mknod
6 > > and make the RAID, but they don't survive a reboot. How do I tell udev to
7 > > create these files as persistant devices?
8 >
9 > All partitions in the RAID set need to be set to partition type fd (Linux raid
10 > autodetect), then the kernel will build the arrays during startup.
11
12 FYI, this is only true if the raid drivers are compiled into the
13 kernel (no modules), and you do _not_ use an initramfs to boot the
14 system. If you use an initramfs, the kernel skips the autodetection
15 of raid arrays.
16
17 -Richard
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list