From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:12:24
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 10:54 on Sunday 19 September 2010, Nikos
2 Chantziaras did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010,
6 > > Florian
7 > >
8 > > Philipp did opine thusly:
9 > >> Hi list!
10 > >>
11 > >> I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
12 > >> breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
13 > >> grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.
14 > >>
15 > >> The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
16 > >> which the system was on standby most of the time during work days and at
17 > >> night.
18 > >>
19 > >> free -m
20 > >>
21 > >> total used free shared buffers cached
22 > >>
23 > >> Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
24 > >> -/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
25 > >> Swap: 6142 978 5163
27 > >
28 > > Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do not
29 > > mean what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.
30 >
31 > However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and
32 > indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his
33 > system.
36 What specific numbers and what appears to be out of place?
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com