From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:55:28
1 On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010, Florian
3 > Philipp did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> Hi list!
6 >>
7 >> I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
8 >> breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
9 >> grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.
10 >>
11 >> The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
12 >> which the system was on standby most of the time during work days and at
13 >> night.
14 >>
15 >> free -m
16 >> total used free shared buffers cached
17 >> Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
18 >> -/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
19 >> Swap: 6142 978 5163
21 >
22 > Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do not mean
23 > what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.
24
25 However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and
26 indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his system.