From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:16:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010,
4 >> Florian
5 >> Philipp did opine thusly:
6 >>
7 >>> Hi list!
8 >>>
9 >>> I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
10 >>> breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
11 >>> grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.
12 >>>
13 >>> The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
14 >>> which the system was on standby most of the time during work days
15 >>> and at
16 >>> night.
17 >>>
18 >>> free -m
19 >>> total used free shared buffers cached
20 >>> Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
21 >>> -/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
22 >>> Swap: 6142 978 5163
23 >>> [...]
24 >>
25 >> Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do
26 >> not mean
27 >> what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.
28 >
29 > However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and
30 > indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his
31 > system.
34 This is my free -m:
35
36 root@smoker / # free -m
37 total used free shared
38 buffers cached
39 Mem: 2024 1934 89 0 380 657
40 -/+ buffers/cache: 896 1127
41 Swap: 478 0 478
42 root@smoker / #
43
44 I have less memory installed but if I understand this correctly, I have
45 more trouble than he does. This install is a few years old and my rig
46 is several years old. It's been doing fine so far. I'm also using the
47 same KDE.
48
49 Currently running, KDE, Seamonkey and a nice emerge of a video package.
50 The compile process is using the most memory at the moment.
51
52 Dale
53