From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modprobe looks in wrong dir
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:45:22
1 Did you remake the modules when you installed the kernel? Some such as
2 nvidia, alsa require you rerun their installation process.
3
4 On Sunday April 30 2006 14:18, maxim wexler wrote:
5 > Hi group,
6 >
7 > This should be an easy fix -- if you already know!
8 >
9 > The reason many of my modules are not loading is
10 > because modprobe is looking in /lib/modules/2.6.12-r6
11 > and not /lib/modules/2.6.16-r3 which was filled when I
12 > ran make modules_install.
13 >
14 > The link to the newer kernel is OK.
15 >
16 > Yes, I ran modules-update.
17 >
18 > Also, module loading and unloading options are set=y
19 > in kernel.
20 >
21 > Not a clue as to why some modules load, sound, usb;
22 > and some, firewire, ppp, forcedeth don't.
23 >
24 > dmesg is filled with lines like:
25 >
26 > Unknown symbol < >...disagrees about version of
27 > symbol< > ...
28 >
29 > At the end of the boot console it says:
30 >
31 > /usr/sbin/pppd/: Couldn't stat /dev/ttyS0: Too many
32 > levels of symbolic links.
33 >
34 > But according to emerge -pv udev I have the latest
35 > ver. Which I set up according to the gentoo
36 > udev-guide.
37 >
38 > Attempts to specify the proper dir to modprobe result
39 > in no-such-file errors.
40 >
41 > -mw
42 >
44 > Do You Yahoo!?
45 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
46 > http://mail.yahoo.com
50 Brett I. Holcomb
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list