From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choosing wired or wireless at boot time
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:40:11
1 2011/8/1 José Romildo Malaquias <j.romildo@×××××.com>:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > I have two network interfaces on my notebook: one wired (eth0) and one
5 > wireless (wlan0). I am running ~amd64 on it.
6 >
7 > I want two gentoo boot entries in grub: one (the default softlevel)
8 > which starts wired networking (and not wireless), and another that
9 > starts the wireless network (and not the wired).
10 >
11 > For the later I have created a new softlevel named wireless, with all
12 > services from default, except net.eth0. The default has net.eth0, but
13 > not net.wlan0. Booting with default works as expected, but booting with
14 > wireless starts both interfaces.
15 >
16 > In /etc/rc.conf I have the lines:
17 >
18 >  rc_depend_strict="NO"
19 >  rc_hotplug="!net*"
20 >
21 > Any clues?
22
23 This is for a laptop? Do you use a desktop environment? If that's the
24 case, why don't you use NetworkManager or ConnMan, and forget about
25 having to do black script magic to set up your network dynamically?
26
27 I'm genuinely curious, I just want to understand why someone would go
28 through the pain of something like this, when there are several tools
29 already that just work automatically.
30
31 In my laptop I use NetworkManager, and besides I suspend all the time.
32 I've been in five different countries the last month and a half, and
33 I've been connecting to different networks all the time (wireless and
34 wired), and NetworkManager just works. I don't have to do anything,
35 just plug the ethernet cable or select the wireless network, set the
36 WEP/WPA key, and that's it.
37
38 Maybe you have a really wild or weird use case, but then I'm really
39 curious: Why do you want yo set up a different softlevel just to
40 change between wired and wireless networks?
41
42 Regards.
43 --
44 Canek Peláez Valdés