From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making a init thingy. Step two I guess.
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 02:17:51
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:27:45 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Then I get confused. I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost
6 >>> here. In there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to
7 >>> the init directory. Then below that it says to use busybox. Well,
8 >>> which is it? Do I do both of those or just one?
9 >>>
10 >> It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
11 >> the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
12 >> However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
13 >> you more access to the hardware or the net.
14 > True.
15 >
16 > Busybox is a tiny userland implementing most of the common options for
17 > most of the common Unix commands. When you log into your ADSL
18 > router/modem and get a shell, it's probably busybox running there,
19 > not GNU util-linux stuff.
20 >
21 > Binary distros often put busybox in their initrds as it doubles up as a
22 > rescue environment and busybox is many times smaller than the full GNU
23 > stuff. It's up to you if you want to do that or not; if all you use an
24 > initrd for is a convenient place to store drivers to be able to
25 > mount /usr, then you will have no need for busybox in it.
28 Unless something goes wrong. You know how I am. Murphy's law and all.
29 lol
30
31 Dale
32