From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making a init thingy. Step two I guess.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 23:03:30
1 On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:27:45 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Then I get confused.  I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost
5 > > here.  In there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to
6 > > the init directory.  Then below that it says to use busybox.  Well,
7 > > which is it?  Do I do both of those or just one?
10 > It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
11 > the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
12 > However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
13 > you more access to the hardware or the net.
14
15 True.
16
17 Busybox is a tiny userland implementing most of the common options for
18 most of the common Unix commands. When you log into your ADSL
19 router/modem and get a shell, it's probably busybox running there,
20 not GNU util-linux stuff.
21
22 Binary distros often put busybox in their initrds as it doubles up as a
23 rescue environment and busybox is many times smaller than the full GNU
24 stuff. It's up to you if you want to do that or not; if all you use an
25 initrd for is a convenient place to store drivers to be able to
26 mount /usr, then you will have no need for busybox in it.
29 Alan McKinnnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com