From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 06:05:31
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Dale wrote:
4 >David Haller wrote:
5 >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Dale wrote:
6 >> Yeah. Oh, and I had a "clean" smart until a few days ago, luckily I
7 >> alread had a WD Red (WD40EFRX) drive waiting when this attrib jumped
8 >> from 0 to: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 087 087 036 Pre-fail Always
9 >> 17688 Other Seagates (a few 1.5T drives) have also made me trouble,
10 >> the 2T Samsung already relabeled and sold as a Seagate but with
11 >> Samsung in the FW though is still ok. [..]
12 >
13 >I was wondering about how that would be updated since a lot of that
14 >stuff requires windoze.
15
16 I had the "fun" with a couple of those 2TB Samsung drives a while ago
17 (Jan 2012?). Samsung had some .iso files available, which you could
18 write to a CD/DVD/USB-Shtik, and then boot from them. For me, the
19 biggest problem was _which_ of the 4 HD204UI and 2 HD203WI I had and
20 have needed the update... I don't remember the SW displaying serial
21 numbers... *gah* Anyway, I've got it sorted out and updated those that
22 needed the update. With Seagate/WD/HGST/Toshiba I've no experience.
23 And I still am grumpy about Samsung selling off their HDD stuff to
24 Seagate.
25
26 BTW: in german, we have a saying for Seagate drives: "sie geht oder
27 sie geht nicht", basically spoken as "sea gate odr sea gate nicht"
28 meaning "she works or she won't"... But, talk about IBM "deathstars",
29 and WD has also a record, basically, all HDDs are much alike nowadays,
30 and have been for years. There's always a bad batch somewhere ...
31
32 Seagate: Seagate drives (???), ex-Maxtor drives, ex-Samsung drives
33 WD: bought Hitachi GST (formerly IBM), i.e. WD + ex-IBM/HGST drives
34 Toshiba: new player, no warranty for bulk drives, unknown for the desktop
35
36 I miss the days when you still had a real choice (WD, Seagate, Maxtor,
37 Samsung, IBM, and smaller/specialized stuff (Excelstor, Toshiba for
38 Laptop drives))...
39
40 If Seagate would at least label their former Samsung drives in a
41 recognizable manner (say, ST*DS* vs. ST*DM* or keep the Samsung label
42 or whatever), I'd be a happy bunny, but as of now, that failing
43 ST3000DM001 was the last Seagate I've bought for quite some time.
44
45 Oh, and I've got a second ST3000DM001 used externally, with stuff that
46 can get lost, but it'd be inconvenient. And yes, I'm planning on
47 ordering a replacement ASAP (another WD40EFRX). Just in case. And the
48 steady state of my discs is full anyway ...
49
50 # dfall -t ext3 -t ext4 -h
51 [..]
52 14.6T 13.2T 996.4G 90%
53
54 and that's just because item one: /dev/sda is taken up by a 128G
55 Samsung 830 SSD, and item two: I just swapped in that 4TB WD for the
56 failing Seagate 3TB. (and yes, I use ext{3,4} exclusively on disk),
57 there's another ~10 TiB in the "fileserver" on 11 disks and a few
58 naked drives (and a docking station (Sharkoon QuickDeck)) and an
59 external drive ;)
60
61 >>> I ordered a drive. It should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I
62 >>> shutdown and re-seated all the cables, power too. I got the test running
63 >>> again but results is a few hours off yet. It did pass the short test
64 >>> tho. I'm not sure that it means much.
65 >>
66 >> Good. Do not use dd, it WILL fail at the first error. Use gnu ddrescue
67 >> or dd_rescue to grab an image. I used mc to copy via filesystem, eg.
68 >> 'rsync -auxlPRAXSHD /foo/ /bar/' is fine too. Oh, and I hope you
69 >> didn't buy a Seagate again ;)
70
71 BTW: *GRR* for you buying a ST3000DM001 again
72
73 >I plan to rsync or cp the data over.
74
75 Good plan.
76
77 >The dd part will come into play after I am sure I got everything off
78 >that I can get and am just erasing the drive completely. I plan to dd
79 >the drive then run the tests again just to see what it is doing.
80 >Heck, maybe it will reallocate that area like it should be doing
81 >already, I guess.
82
83 Reallocation happens on writes ... Look for --write-sector in 'man
84 hdparm'.
85
86 I've been doing that "smartctl -t .." / hdparm --write-sector ...
87 stuff for a bunch of sectors but got tired of that game. And you
88 having 104 pending sectors? *gah* That'll get tedious. Probably using
89 'ddrescue /dev/zero /dev/sdX sdX.log' would be easier. That way, after
90 you got whatever data you can rescue from that drive, you can clear
91 the drive too before sending it in for a warranty replacement (if
92 still applicable).
93
94 >Time will tell. I'll be having fun tomorrow tho. ;-)
95
96 Do have fun, after you got your data off that drive :)
97
98 -dnh
101 Gibt es ein Buch über das maßvolle Verwenden von Fußnoten?
102 Wenn ja, dann bin ich bereit, Dir ein Exemplar zu schicken.
103 [Thorsten Haude zu David Haller in sl-etikette]