From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:21:25
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
4 > I would start with the defaults, eg. leave USE="" (blank) in make.conf
5 > and then start editing package.use to modify them from there. type
6 > emerge --info to see ALL of the use flags that are being used
9 > --
10 > Jeremy Olexa
11 > (olexa@××××××.edu)
12 > Office: EE/CS 1-201
13 > CS/IT Systems Staff
14 > University of Minnesota
17 The way I always do is this, find what I want to install, in your case
18 emerge -e world, and add the -vp option. It will then tell you what
19 flags each package will use. I then go to
20 /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and find the flag, they are in
21 alphabetical order, and see what it does and if I need it or not. If
22 not, I add the flag with a - in front to disable it. If I see something
23 it is not going to compile in that I need, I add it to my USE line.
24
25 You can also use the package.use file in /etc/portage too. Then it will
26 only apply to that specific package. Either way does the same thing but
27 one is global and affects all packages while the other only affect that
28 one package.
29
30 Hope that helps.
31
32 Dale
33
35
36 Oh, if you are in comand line and need to scroll through the list, try
37 this: "emerge -evp world | less" without the quotes of course. You can
38 use the page up and down keys with that. Works here anyway. You can
39 switch to another console to edit your USE line and use another to view
40 the use.desc file. Do I make sense at all??
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list