From: Jeremy Olexa <olexa@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:17:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 5/17/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>> Hi folks - I have a major problem brewing here im afraid:
8 >>>
9 >>> I have several systems that I had originally built with the Gentoo
10 >>> installer disk -- As such they have a very large group of use flags,
11 > and
12 >>> a fairly large genkernel. In wanting to lean them out and optimize
13 > them
14 >>> for running, went in, rebuilt the kernel, and apparently with a bad
15 >> genkernel does not use USE flags, so, that's not related, probably.
16 >> Someone will tell if I'm wrong.
17 >>
18 >>> understanding of how portage and the USE flags interact, removed all
19 > the
20 >>> use flags, changed them to:
21 >>>
22 >>> USE="-*"
23 >>>
24 >> Heh, once I tried that... Its better leave it empty than putting this.
25 >> You CAN put "-*", but then you would have to create a fairly large
26 >> packages.use in order to get a working system. That includes every
27 >> package listed in "emerge -pv world" with an entry.
28 >>
29 >> Remove that option, start with minimal USE flags and reemerge world.
30 >> You're lucky you didn't try emerge -e system after that.
31 >>
32 >>> and ran emerge -e world. The processes have all failed, and now I
33 > have
34 >>> broken systems -- for example, eterm wont start at all, nor will it
35 >>> build on a re-install, firefox is messed up (the fonts look funny)
36 > and
37 >>> im starting to panic. Is there any way short of rebuilding these
38 >>> systems to get things working right again?
39 >> You're lucky that you still have a working system after all. You even
40 >> get a working portage, so, nothing to worry about. Fix your flags and
41 >> reemerge world.
42 >>
43 >> --
44 >
45 > [Timothy A. Holmes]
46 >
47 > Turns out all 5 systems are totally broke - I will be rebuilding all of
48 > them --
49 >
50 > If anyone can suggest a good set of minimal use flags, I would be most
51 > thankful
52 >
53 > Tim
54
55 I would start with the defaults, eg. leave USE="" (blank) in make.conf
56 and then start editing package.use to modify them from there. type
57 emerge --info to see ALL of the use flags that are being used
60 > Timothy A. Holmes
61 > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
62 >
63 > Medina Christian Academy
64 > A Higher Standard...
65 >