From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Share /home with Gentoo and Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:01:40
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 November 2012 13:41:16 Randy Barlow wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:01:28 -0500, Michael Orlitzky
4 >>
5 >> <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> You can work around it fairly easily, though. Just mount all of your
7 >>> version-independent stuff separately, under ~/Documents or whatever.
8 >>> Or never go back to Ubuntu =)
9 >> This is good advice. Another potential solution is to use symlinks to
10 >> map the OS-dependent files to the right places.
11 >>
12 >> Or you could make /home/username be OS dependent, with another OS
13 >> independent volume mounted somewhere, perhaps /home/os_independent.
14 > My solution is to have a separate partition called 'common' which I
15 > mount under my user home directory in whichever Linux I'm running at the
16 > time. Then anything I think I might need anywhere I just put in
17 > /home/prh/common/...
21 I used to have something similar myself. I had a directory called
22 /data. It had everything that I wouldn't want to lose even if I
23 switched OS's or something. I always had it on a separate drive too. I
24 kept documents, pictures, videos and such in there. This started back
25 when I was switching from Mandrake to Gentoo. I only recently got rid
26 of it and moved everything to my home directory like it should be since
27 I only have one distro. That took me almost 10 years to change. lol
28
29 I read the other day that Seamonkey says that going back a version could
30 lead to data loss. It will actually detect that it is running a older
31 version and renames some file to .old or something. The old
32 settings/data would be lost. I'm not sure but Firefox may do something
33 similar. I wouldn't be surprised if other apps do this too. I think
34 they should support going back at least a few versions. I can see them
35 not going back to Seamonkey V1 tho.
36
37 OP, I would get my feet wet and when you get used to Gentoo and decide
38 whether you are going to keep it or switch, then move things to a more
39 permanent location. Just be very careful when deleting things. That rm
40 command is pretty unforgiving. Sometimes, links can get you into trouble.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!