From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to do port-based routing?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:16:24
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > I don't understand why I have to do NAT. Can you explain why?
4 > (Or point me to docs that explain why?)
7 router01.your.network.com
8 eth0 - 10.11.12.1
9 eth1 - 24.1.2.231 - Comcast
10 eth2 - 64.1.2.132 - Speakeasy
11
12 Naturally RFC 1918 space is useless outside your network so you have to
13 NAT. However you need to make sure that you are making your policy
14 routing decisions at eth0. You don't want traffic marked as originating
15 from 24.1.2.231 going out eth2 since Speakeasy could (and should) drop
16 traffic that is not origination from its IP space. Additionally traffic
17 will be routing back to your via Comcast connection resulting in
18 asymmetric routing which can increase the chances of packets arriving
19 out of order.
20
21 router01.your.network.com
22 eth0 - 24.2.3.1/29
23 eth0 - 64.2.3.1/29
24 eth1 - 24.1.2.231 - Comcast
25 eth2 - 64.1.2.132 - Speakeasy
26
27 Same case with this setup even with real IPs. The chances of convincing
28 any ISP to accept routes smaller than /24 from you are tiny. And finding
29 anyone who knows what you even want to do even when you have the IP
30 space is pretty much non-existent. I know, I've tried. Same thing in
31 this case, you'll NAT at eth1 and eth2 and policy router at eth0.
32
33 If you are doing this from a single machine with two IP's and no other
34 networks or interfaces, it should just work. Linux should use the IP of
35 interface the packet leaves from, but I'd use tcpdump to make sure.
36
37 kashani
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list