From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reinstall
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 17:33:14
1 On Sunday, 19 June 2022 18:22:34 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-06-19, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Just for the sake of preventing a future failure, besides personal
4 > > files (minimum and obvious) the "world" file and the binary packages,
5 > > built along with the package installation, what else should I backup
6 > > so that I would be able to quickly restore the same full working
7 > > Gentoo in a new hardware without having to work from stage3 up? The
8 > > portage tree is one of those items, for sure. But what else?
9 >
10 > Make a backup copy of everything under /etc.
11 >
12 > I used to try to backup individual /etc/... files that I would need,
13 > but I always forgot something.
14 >
15 > --
16 > Grant
17
18 Yes, besides /var/lib/portage/world and /etc/ you may also want to back up
19 your /boot and kernel config, assuming the hardware (MoBo & peripherals) is the
20 same (same drivers). I wouldn't bother backing up portage, a resync will
21 download it afresh. You might want to save /distfiles if you're on a slow
22 Internet link, but it has to be a copy of the current versions, otherwise the
23 latest version of each package source will have to be downloaded anyway.
24
25 If you're running databases you'll also want to keep a backup of the
26 respective /var/lib/*sql directory and if you're running a webserver /var/www/
27 * - but you would be aware of the need to keep a fresh backup of all this data
28 anyway.