From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC hangs/lacks ?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 13:25:42
1 On 05/06 09:16, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 12:21:00PM +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote
3 >
4 > > Does everyone has the same problems probably already solved
5 > > or any idea how I can those freezes?
6 >
7 > It looks like blender is a heavy-duty program that bogs down your
8 > system. You could buy a new machine, or you could try the "nice"
9 > command. The tradeoff is that your system becomes more responsive
10 > because the program is launched with a lower priority. The usual
11 > priority levels range from 20 (lowest priority for your program) to
12 > -19 (highest priority for your program). Note that you have to use
13 > root or sudo to use negative nice-level (higher priority). See website
14 > https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/nice-invocation.html#nice-invocation
15 > because the "man nice" page sucks.
16 >
17 > In your case, you could de-prioritize blender to the lowest level by
18 > launching it like so...
19 >
20 > nice -n 20 blender <usual blender args>
21 >
22 > --
23 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
27 Hi Walter,
28
29 Thanks for you help and info!
30
31 Buying a new machine is not an option, I bought this one
32 a month ago. Take a look the specs.
33
34 Nice will also not help, since it is kinda "lock" that suddenly
35 kicks in. This is only an example: If a programm acquires the
36 system bus and hold it due to a programming error, the system freezes.
37 A nice would not help, since no one, who probablu could help to
38 get out of this situation will get no processing time.
39
40 Sorry if I made myself not clear enough in this regard...I am
41 no native speaker.
42
43 Cheers!
44 Meino