From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC hangs/lacks ?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 13:17:50
1 On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 12:21:00PM +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote
2
3 > Does everyone has the same problems probably already solved
4 > or any idea how I can those freezes?
5
6 It looks like blender is a heavy-duty program that bogs down your
7 system. You could buy a new machine, or you could try the "nice"
8 command. The tradeoff is that your system becomes more responsive
9 because the program is launched with a lower priority. The usual
10 priority levels range from 20 (lowest priority for your program) to
11 -19 (highest priority for your program). Note that you have to use
12 root or sudo to use negative nice-level (higher priority). See website
13 https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/nice-invocation.html#nice-invocation
14 because the "man nice" page sucks.
15
16 In your case, you could de-prioritize blender to the lowest level by
17 launching it like so...
18
19 nice -n 20 blender <usual blender args>
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications