From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:22:17
1 On 6/24/19 11:47 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Of course it is, a RAID1 device is just a block device on which you can
3 > put any filesystem you like. RAID and LVM are complementary technologies
4 > that work well together, but neither needs the others (apart from the
5 > device-mapper bit).
6
7 Eh. LVM can require RAID (multiple devices) without actually using MD
8 outside of LVM.
9
10 LVM can do RAID inside of LVM (I think this is fairly atypically done).
11 But it does mean that you can turn physical disks (or better partitions)
12 into Physical Volumes for LVM and then create different Logical Volumes
13 with different RAID properties.
14
15 I once had a LV w/ RAID 0 striping across multiple PVs with another LV
16 with RAID 5 for redundancy, in the same PVs.
17
18 This LVM functionality does require RAID (multiple device) support as
19 that's what's used /inside/ (read: under the hood) of LVM.
24 Grant. . . .
25 unix || die