From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 17:47:32
1 On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:00:29 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > I feel like device-mapper should be its own package that other things
4 > > depend on; LVM, RAID (mdadm, et al.), multi-path, LUKS (cryptsetup).
5 >
6 > Yes, and that would fit the Unix tradition of doing one thing, and
7 > well. It should also be applied to crypt-setup and its friends.
8
9 Indeed, all it needs is someone willing to do the work. Now if LVM had
10 been written by Lennart Poettering, there would be a stampede of
11 volunteers to do this, witness eudev.
12
13 > > > On this box, which does need lvm for RAID-1 on two SSDs:
14 > > Do you /need/ LVM? Or is it extra that comes with device-mapper?
15 >
16 > No, I do actually use lvm to base a raid-1 file system on. I haven't
17 > considered raid-1 without lvm; is that feasible?
18
19 Of course it is, a RAID1 device is just a block device on which you can
20 put any filesystem you like. RAID and LVM are complementary technologies
21 that work well together, but neither needs the others (apart from the
22 device-mapper bit).
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 The road to HAL is paved with good intentions.