From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't resize firefox window vertically
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:18:19
1 On 12/25/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello everybody,
3 >
4 > I can't see the status bar in my firefox window, it's
5 > out of sight below the bottom margin of the screen.
6 > Clicking the right upper corner and dragging the mouse
7 > only can alter the horizontal size, not the vertical.
8 > I'm not using a window mgr. Don't tell me I have to
9 > install gnome or kde.
10
11 Well, you _have_ to use a window manager, because AFAIK no X
12 application knows how to resize itself. I'm not sure how you are
13 getting horizontal resizing...maybe some internal firefox control
14 (like the bookmarks side-panel resizer control) is showing up and
15 allowing you to resize the main frame, which is causing firefox to
16 resize. If you don't want a full desktop environment, try twm, fvwm,
17 fluxbox, or something similarly lightweight. You could also start
18 firefox with "firefox -width X -height Y".
19
20 > This is a bad link,
21 >
22 > heathen@sarawak ~ $ ls -l .mozilla/firefox/k6*/lock
23 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 heathen users 14 Dec 25 08:37
24 > .mozilla/firefox/k6z1oz36.default/lock ->
25 > 127.0.0.1:7029
26
27 Ignore this. It is a lock file, not an actual link. The link name
28 indicates the host it is running on and the process ID of firefox. Do
29 not remove it, or you could start two instances of firefox at the same
30 time, and hose your config files.
31
32 -Richard
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list