From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: confessions of a former USE=
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:41:04
1 Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
5 > > I should qualify that -- a lot of the descriptions suck, not all of
6 > > them. When in doubt, I let the profile decide.
7
8 Thanks for all the deprecated flag cleaning tools/ideas.
11 > Nah, most of them suck. USE=derp enables libderp? Awesome. WTF does
12 > libderp actually DO for this package? We need a policy change to force
13 > developers to document all of their USE flags, but nobody wants to do
14 > the work I guess. (It would be hard.)
15
16 Yep. Digging a bit deeper into the ebuilds and codes does time limit
17 one's ability to discern what a particular flag is actually doing
18 in a given ebuild, particularly when used in multiple builds.
19
20 > First, you'd have to update euse (or a similar tool) to make the
21 > information available. There's no point in adding nice descriptions to
22 > metadata.xml if the users can't query it.
23
24 > Then, you'd have to figure out all the exceptions. Eclasses can add
25 > things to IUSE, so you would have to figure out the right language, like
26 > "you must document every flag in IUSE in the *ebuild*". You'd also want
27 > exceptions in cases like security bugs -- if there's a vulnerability in
28 > PHP tomorrow, you don't want to force me to add descriptions for 50 USE
29 > flags before I can fix it. Maybe just grandfather in existing versions.
30
31 Thanks for the insight and example. This is the sort of insight that belongs
32 in the devManual, imho. The devManual often does not explain the 'big'
33 picture and thus becomes a collections of facts, until one is bitten, goes
34 back and reads portions of the devManaul and then has an 'ah-ha' moment.
35
36 > Repoman needs to enforce it, or else people will ignore it.
37
38 Excellent idea. I know that Gokturk has been working on the dev manual, and
39 doing a fantastic job, imho. He is quite friendly and receptive to ideas. I
40 just think he has keen insight in organizing and documents, so that is why I
41 mention him here. He seems to be sufficiently 'diplomatic' to mix all the
42 ideas and come up with a brew that is pleasing to most. Maybe this repoman
43 enhancement is a good topic for discussion in gentoo-dev, as repoman is
44 under study by quite a few folks these days? Surely the devManual and
45 repoman should be fully consistent and compatible resources....
46
47 > Finally, you'd have to push it through the council and fight about it on
48 > the mailing lists for a while.
51 We'll be pulling for you (MO) on additional vision and upgrades to
52 repoman.... gentoo-dev is quite wonderful when folks 'go at it'. It keeps us
53 calm on gentoo-user, since the devs usually have sharps as insight once
54 ideas start flying around....
57 Thanks to all for the insights,
58 James