From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: confessions of a former USE=
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:57:10
1 On 04/13/2016 02:00 PM, »Q« wrote:
2 >
3 > I should qualify that -- a lot of the descriptions suck, not all of
4 > them. When in doubt, I let the profile decide.
7 Nah, most of them suck. USE=derp enables libderp? Awesome. WTF does
8 libderp actually DO for this package? We need a policy change to force
9 developers to document all of their USE flags, but nobody wants to do
10 the work I guess. (It would be hard.)
11
12 First, you'd have to update euse (or a similar tool) to make the
13 information available. There's no point in adding nice descriptions to
14 metadata.xml if the users can't query it.
15
16 Then, you'd have to figure out all the exceptions. Eclasses can add
17 things to IUSE, so you would have to figure out the right language, like
18 "you must document every flag in IUSE in the *ebuild*". You'd also want
19 exceptions in cases like security bugs -- if there's a vulnerability in
20 PHP tomorrow, you don't want to force me to add descriptions for 50 USE
21 flags before I can fix it. Maybe just grandfather in existing versions.
22
23 Repoman needs to enforce it, or else people will ignore it.
24
25 Finally, you'd have to push it through the council and fight about it on
26 the mailing lists for a while.