From: Jens Reinemuth <jens@×××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from SoftwareRaid 10 with metadata > 1.0 possible?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 07:11:47
1 Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 17:23:15 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi Jens,
3 > I've never bothered with actually making the boot device RAID as
4 > it's pretty easy to recreate if it dies. I do mirror my /boot
5 > partition on three drives so that hopefully I can change what BIOS
6 > looks at to boot and get the machine back up that way if necessary. I
7 > know of one person who reported that he made /boot RAID1 but only
8 > boots from one of the drive to automatically shadow changes he makes
9 > to /boot, but I've not tried that myself.
10 >
11 > As for /root, I'm using metadata=1.2 here, but it wasn't easy. It
12 > required an initramfs to figure out why it wasn't working, and then a
13 > _lot_ of care about RAID naming in both the physical RAID details as
14 > well as the mdadm.conf file to ensure it matched the eventual machine
15 > name. However it does work well for me.
16 >
17 > HTH,
18 > Mark
19
20 Hi Mark,
21
22 i really think it could be an issue of naming... As if i boot from the
23 install-cd the raid-drives are named md124 - md127 and /dev/md/livecd:1 -
24 /dev/md/livecd:4.
25
26 I installed a kernel with genkernel and its corresponding initramfs, but after
27 booting i get the same errors. starting the busybox shows the /dev/md3 but i
28 cant mount it in any way.
29
30 regards,
31