From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from SoftwareRaid 10 with metadata > 1.0 possible?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:24:59
1 On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Jens Reinemuth <jens@×××××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > i'm totally stuck with an installation of a server using SoftwareRAIDs (10)
5 > with an adaptec aic79xx Controller...
6 >
7 > I thought that perhaps the drivers must be corrupted, but i found some (older)
8 > howtos that described you should be using metadata=0.9.0 at least on the boot
9 > and root partitions. Is this still an issue with actual kernels?
10 >
11 > regards,
12 >
13 > Jens
14
15 Hi Jens,
16 I've never bothered with actually making the boot device RAID as
17 it's pretty easy to recreate if it dies. I do mirror my /boot
18 partition on three drives so that hopefully I can change what BIOS
19 looks at to boot and get the machine back up that way if necessary. I
20 know of one person who reported that he made /boot RAID1 but only
21 boots from one of the drive to automatically shadow changes he makes
22 to /boot, but I've not tried that myself.
23
24 As for /root, I'm using metadata=1.2 here, but it wasn't easy. It
25 required an initramfs to figure out why it wasn't working, and then a
26 _lot_ of care about RAID naming in both the physical RAID details as
27 well as the mdadm.conf file to ensure it matched the eventual machine
28 name. However it does work well for me.
29
30 HTH,
31 Mark