From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] per package parallel build
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 15:43:56
On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:35 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 16:47:35 +0000, Wols Lists wrote: > > > > There's no need to mess around adding and removing masks, just use > > > the - > > > - exclude option. > > > > > > Yep! For some reason, that option doesn’t always occur to me, but > > > that’s clearly a simpler way to do it. Thanks for reminding me! > > > > > Couldn't you just have a script that "emerge --update"s each package in > > sequence? If the package isn't due for update nothing will happen. And > > then you could follow that with an "emerge world" knowing that your hogs > > are already done. > > Sometimes the packages are rebuilt without an update, especially if you > use --changed-use or --changed-deps, so it's not quite that simple.
But still pretty simple. I’ve just used the “build in sequence” idea for an update that forced a libreoffice rebuild. It first upgraded a few of libreoffice’s dependencies in parallel, and then rebuilt libreoffice by itself afterwards. A subsequent emerge @world upgraded a bunch of minor kde stuff. I like this idea - seems to isolate the “hogs” so they build one at a time, and it does so without any intervention on my part. Thanks! John Blinka