From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem configuring Intel Wireless 5300 device
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:07:05
1 On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 20:55:00 +0100, Shoka <shoka@×××.ch> wrote:
2
3 > On 07.02.2010 20:29, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:21:20 +0100, Shoka <shoka@×××.ch> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi folks,
7 >>>
8 >>> I got stuck when trying to get the Intel Wireless 5300 device running.
9 >>> I'm using the 2.6.31.gentoo-r6 kernel source and have tried several
10 >>> configuration options for getting this driver to work.
11 >>>
12 >>> The gentoo os is running on a lenovo x200 notebook.
13 >>>
14 >>> It seems that the iwlagn module doesn't get compiled at all. When
15 >>> trying to run "modprobe iwlagn" I get the message "Module iwlagn not
16 >>> found". The device is properly recognized when using the Gentoo Live
17 >>> CD. There it uses the iwlagn module. So it should be possible to
18 >>> configure the kernel to do the same.
19 >>>
20 >>> I have found this forum post about configuring the 5300 device, but
21 >>> this guy used the 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel source and it looks like the
22 >>> kernel config options in menuconfig have changed. I cannot find a
23 >>> kernel config option called "Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN
24 >>> (iwlagn)".
25 >>>
26 >>> Link to forum post:
27 >>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-792424-highlight-5300.html
28 >>>
29 >>> I'm a gentoo newbie and therefore would be very glad, if anyone could
30 >>> give me an advice in the right direction.
31 >>>
32 >>> Thank you very much!
33 >>>
34 >>> Best regards
35 >>> Shoka
36 >>>
37 >>>
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >>
41 >> You should be able to find the iwlagn in Device Drivers -> Network
42 >> Device Support -> Wireless Lan
43 >>
44 >> There you need to set "Intel Wireless Wifi" and then the option should
45 >> appear :-)
48 > Hi Zeerak,
49 >
50 > When calling "make menuconfig", then enter section "Device Drivers" -->
51 > "Network Device Support" --> "Wireless LAN", all I can see are these
54 > [ ] Wireless LAN (pre-802.11)
55 > [ ] Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11)
56 > < > Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
57 > < > Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and 2915ABG Network Connection
58 >
59 > I have selected both Intel PRO/Wireless sections and the only
60 > sup-options that appeared were:
61 >
62 > [ ] promiscuous mode
63 > [ ] full debugging output
64 >
65 > But there was nothing written about "Intel Wireless Wifi" or iwlagn
66 > stuff....
67 > Even if I checked all the options nothing more appeared.
68 >
69 > Shoka
77 What does searching for iwlwifi in the kernel yield? (kernel search is
78 prompted by /)
81 Zeerak