From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 12:10:14
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > The next hop after the ISP supplied router is another piece of the ISPs
7 > network equipment, so the ISP access to your data is equivalent, since the
8 > geography is not important. I dont think Netgear is any less trustworthy
9 > than TP-link or whatever. Here the trust is probably more about reliability
10 > of the device than data privacy. Probably being too paranoid.
11
12 The difference between Netgear and TP-link is not about which company
13 is less trustworthy. The point is that the Netgear belongs to the ISP,
14 wheras the TP-link belongs to me and its crappy firmware (crappy
15 interface, at least) can be replaced by dd-wrt.
23 >> Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
24 >> WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
25 >> The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
26 >> Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
27 >> this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
28 >> measure? *spooky*)
31 > Does ifconfig show any interface errors?
32 >
33 > You can probably setup PPPoA, or whatever is required, on your Gentoo box to
34 > bring the service up instead of the TP-link, and test the bridge mode
35 > throughput. This also means you can have maximum flexibility since Gentoo
36 > will do all the interesting network stuff. However, unless you wanted to do
37 > that as a learning exercise its probably a waste of time and effort.
38 >
39 > Does TPlink provide any performance stats?
42 I already found that the TP-Link router is the culprit, due to low
43 processing power, Netgear is innocent.
44
45 regards
46
47 Jorge Almeida