From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:59:31
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have net by cable with nominal speed 200Mbps. The ISP provides a
4 > modem/router Netgear (from Numericable). I disabled the WiFi and I
5 > have 2 computers connected via ethernet to the router. The speed is
6 > about 156Mbps (measured by http://www.speedtest.net), which seems to
7 > be what to expect.
8 >
9 > Now, having a device provided by the ISP to act as router seems to be
10 > good for people who trust both the ISP and the manufacturer. (Please
11 > comment if I'm being too paranoid.)
14 The next hop after the ISP supplied router is another piece of the ISPs
15 network equipment, so the ISP access to your data is equivalent, since the
16 geography is not important. I dont think Netgear is any less trustworthy
17 than TP-link or whatever. Here the trust is probably more about reliability
18 of the device than data privacy. Probably being too paranoid.
21 > So, I setup the router to work in bridge mode and connected one of the
22 > 4 lan ports to the Wan port of a secondary router TP-link (Archer
23 > C1200, Wireless dual band gigabit). It is supposed to comply with
24 > 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz. Not that this matters per
25 > se, as I disabled the WiFi.
26 >
27 > The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
28 > secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
29 > ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
30 > 100Mbps.
33 Ok so i think you've downgraded your performance without any real change in
34 security.
37 > Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
38 > WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
39 > The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
40 > Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
41 > this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
42 > measure? *spooky*)
45 Does ifconfig show any interface errors?
46
47 You can probably setup PPPoA, or whatever is required, on your Gentoo box
48 to bring the service up instead of the TP-link, and test the bridge mode
49 throughput. This also means you can have maximum flexibility since Gentoo
50 will do all the interesting network stuff. However, unless you wanted to do
51 that as a learning exercise its probably a waste of time and effort.
52
53 Does TPlink provide any performance stats?