From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:20:08
1 I have net by cable with nominal speed 200Mbps. The ISP provides a
2 modem/router Netgear (from Numericable). I disabled the WiFi and I
3 have 2 computers connected via ethernet to the router. The speed is
4 about 156Mbps (measured by http://www.speedtest.net), which seems to
5 be what to expect.
6
7 Now, having a device provided by the ISP to act as router seems to be
8 good for people who trust both the ISP and the manufacturer. (Please
9 comment if I'm being too paranoid.)
10
11 So, I setup the router to work in bridge mode and connected one of the
12 4 lan ports to the Wan port of a secondary router TP-link (Archer
13 C1200, Wireless dual band gigabit). It is supposed to comply with
14 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz. Not that this matters per
15 se, as I disabled the WiFi.
16
17 The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
18 secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
19 ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
20 100Mbps.
21
22 Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
23 WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
24 The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
25 Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
26 this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
27 measure? *spooky*)
28
29 Someone has a similar setup? Any experience with that (TP-link) router?
30
31 Thanks,
32
33 Jorge Almeida