From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 04:10:45
1 On 03/28/2017 01:19 PM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
3 > secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
4 > ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
5 > 100Mbps.
6
7 This is not unusual, the speeds they advertise are device to device
8 (i.e. switched, not routed.)
11 > Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
12 > WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
13 > The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
14 > Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
15 > this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
16 > measure? *spooky*)
19 As Mick mentioned, a lot of the all-in-ones don't have enough CPU
20 available to route at those speeds. Some of them do come with hardware
21 offloading, thus taking it off the main CPU but that itself doesn't mean
22 it is able to route at port speed.
23
24 I have the same problem, I had an old RT-N16. It finally crapped out and
25 have read many stories about these $200 all-in-ones that can't actually
26 fully route at 100 mbit+ speeds. Some of the newer hardware revisions
27 can with hardware offloading.
28
29 For myself, as fibre is coming to my home sometime this year (I'm
30 looking forward to symmetrical 150mbit at $85/month) I'm probably going
31 to get an Ubiquiti Edgerouter and AP, and perhaps even a small managed
32 switch. The middle grade Edgerouters have been tested to actually route
33 at near gigabit speeds.
34
35 The problem with my solution is cost, it'll probably be 2-3x higher than
36 the high-end all-in-ones. But at least if a component fails or gets
37 outdated, I can replace one thing at a time. Thinking mainly wifi
38 technologies changing.
39
40 Dan