From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 05:52:54
1 On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/28/2017 01:19 PM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >> The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
4 >> secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
5 >> ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
6 >> 100Mbps.
7 >
8 > This is not unusual, the speeds they advertise are device to device
9 > (i.e. switched, not routed.)
10
11 That explains it, then.
12 Misleading publicity... I should have asked here before buying...
19 > As Mick mentioned, a lot of the all-in-ones don't have enough CPU
20 > available to route at those speeds. Some of them do come with hardware
21 > offloading, thus taking it off the main CPU but that itself doesn't mean
22 > it is able to route at port speed.
23 >
24 > I have the same problem, I had an old RT-N16. It finally crapped out and
25
26 I've been using an RT-N16 for years, and it still works fine. They
27 don't advertise big speeds and I understood it doesn't have the CPU
28 power to cope. I assumed a new generation router would do the job. Big
29 mistake.
30
31 I already checked that the ISP/Netgear router is not to blame:
32 connecting to a single computer in bridge mode yields about 150Mbps.
33
34 Thanks
35
36 Jorge
37
38 PS. I still would like to know what people in this list think about
39 having an ISP managed device as router, re security. Not that I have
40 any real option if I want the contracted speed...