From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 07:47:54
1 On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 Jorge Almeida wrote:
2
3 > PS. I still would like to know what people in this list think about
4 > having an ISP managed device as router, re security. Not that I have
5 > any real option if I want the contracted speed...
6
7 Many ISPs today implement TR-069 (a standard of the DSL forum) to access
8 customer equipment remotely for service provisioning. They use configuration
9 servers to implement management access to *their* routers and update
10 firmware/software, reset the configuration to defaults, or more secure
11 settings.
12
13 http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-069.pdf
14
15 This also allows them to undertake status and performance monitoring and run
16 some diagnostics tests to manage their customers' complaints.
17
18 The extent to which all this also allows spying on your connections is
19 debatable, but if they have access to your DNS resolver, I guess they can
20 route your queries on the fly, wherever they like.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick