From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 12:02:46
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 Jorge Almeida wrote:
5 > Many ISPs today implement TR-069 (a standard of the DSL forum) to access
6 > customer equipment remotely for service provisioning. They use configuration
7 > servers to implement management access to *their* routers and update
8 > firmware/software, reset the configuration to defaults, or more secure
9 > settings.
10 >
11 > http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-069.pdf
12 >
13 > This also allows them to undertake status and performance monitoring and run
14 > some diagnostics tests to manage their customers' complaints.
15 >
16 > The extent to which all this also allows spying on your connections is
17 > debatable, but if they have access to your DNS resolver, I guess they can
18 > route your queries on the fly, wherever they like.
19 > --
20 Spying on packets is probably something they'll be able to do if they
21 want to. Infiltrating the home network is what I find spooky. No one
22 seems to talk about it, maybe I'm missing something that is obvious
23 for more knowledgeable people.
24
25 BTW, I've been using dnscache (from djbdns) for years. I suppose that
26 protects against spoofing?
27
28 Regards
29