From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 18:17:09
1 Am Tue, 28 Mar 2017 21:19:29 +0100
2 schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I have net by cable with nominal speed 200Mbps. The ISP provides a
5 > modem/router Netgear (from Numericable). I disabled the WiFi and I
6 > have 2 computers connected via ethernet to the router. The speed is
7 > about 156Mbps (measured by http://www.speedtest.net), which seems to
8 > be what to expect.
9 >
10 > Now, having a device provided by the ISP to act as router seems to be
11 > good for people who trust both the ISP and the manufacturer. (Please
12 > comment if I'm being too paranoid.)
13 >
14 > So, I setup the router to work in bridge mode and connected one of the
15 > 4 lan ports to the Wan port of a secondary router TP-link (Archer
16 > C1200, Wireless dual band gigabit). It is supposed to comply with
17 > 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz. Not that this matters per
18 > se, as I disabled the WiFi.
19 >
20 > The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
21 > secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
22 > ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
23 > 100Mbps.
24 >
25 > Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
26 > WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
27 > The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
28 > Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
29 > this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
30 > measure? *spooky*)
31 >
32 > Someone has a similar setup? Any experience with that (TP-link)
33 > router?
34
35 I'm using a 400 MBps cable link here, directly connected, I can get 48
36 MBytes/s out of it (which should be very close if not even little above
37 400 MBps), even when using the TP-Link as switch. If I use bridge mode
38 and use TP-Link as router, it stop roughly around 300 MBps. My previous
39 router even stopped at 30 MBps. It's a CPU issue. The internal CPU
40 needs to do layer 3 routing. Layer 2 routing (switching) can be done by
41 hardware. Login to your router and see how the CPU is loaded. Use top.
42 If you still loaded it with its original hardware, you cannot do this,
43 tho. Try OpenWRT (that is what I used).
44
45 I think there's a database which contains throughput test results with
46 different router hardware and different firmware. However, with a quick
47 google search, I cannot find it. You may have more luck.
48
49 [some moments later]
50
51 I think it's here: