From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Null Modem Cables Between Windoze XP and Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:55:28
1 On 6/25/06, Josh Helmer <joshhelmer@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 June 2006 12:49 pm, Lord Sauron wrote:
3 > > I honestly am harbouring delusions of using the faster null modem
4 > > stuff to directly sync my laptop with a future Linux CVS/Web server,
5 > > so that I can have a update of the whole smash in my laptop once a
6 > > day, rather than waiting for a slow internet connection remotely.
7 > > It's just an idea I'm playing around with, and playing around is good
8 > > (99% of the time, anyways).
9 >
10 > I used to setup linux-based embedded systems running agetty on the serial
11 > port. That allowed us to connect to the machine with just a null-modem cable
12 > (Windows client using hyperterm usually) and login directly if the network
13 > went screwy.
14 >
15 > The thing I remember most about the whole process was that running over a
16 > serial connection was slow as molasses. You need to set a baud rate on the
17 > line (the server and client must agree on the rate) and you basically get
18 > dial-up speeds. If there is a way to coax 2Mb/s out of the thing I never
19 > found it.
20
21 I have it on extremely good authority that it goes 2MB/sec.
22
23 > If you are looking for a linux client, look for a program called kermit.
24 > It's been at least 5 years since I last used it, but I believe that is what
25 > we used to use.
26
27 I'll start looking for Kermit now. Thanks.
31 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
32 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
33 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
34 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
35 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list