From: Josh Helmer <joshhelmer@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Null Modem Cables Between Windoze XP and Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:44:13
1 On Saturday 24 June 2006 12:49 pm, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > I honestly am harbouring delusions of using the faster null modem
3 > stuff to directly sync my laptop with a future Linux CVS/Web server,
4 > so that I can have a update of the whole smash in my laptop once a
5 > day, rather than waiting for a slow internet connection remotely.
6 > It's just an idea I'm playing around with, and playing around is good
7 > (99% of the time, anyways).
8
9 I used to setup linux-based embedded systems running agetty on the serial
10 port. That allowed us to connect to the machine with just a null-modem cable
11 (Windows client using hyperterm usually) and login directly if the network
12 went screwy.
13
14 The thing I remember most about the whole process was that running over a
15 serial connection was slow as molasses. You need to set a baud rate on the
16 line (the server and client must agree on the rate) and you basically get
17 dial-up speeds. If there is a way to coax 2Mb/s out of the thing I never
18 found it.
19
20 If you are looking for a linux client, look for a program called kermit.
21 It's been at least 5 years since I last used it, but I believe that is what
22 we used to use.
23
24 Josh