From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS changes
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:09:15
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > Current CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
8 > I want to add "-fomit-frame-pointer" to my
9 > CFLAGS on an existing system that has been running
10 > for months.
13 > Is this safe or do I have to rebuild everything with
14 > somelike "emerge -e" ?
17 > Should it be avoided completely?
18 >
19 > James
23 Not sure if the flag is safe but I don't think portage will pick up on
24 changes to CFLAGS. You will have to do a emerge -e for all the packages
25 to be compiled with the new setting.
26
27 You could also just change it and let the packages update over time as
28 they get upgraded. I don't think that will cause any problems.
29
30 You can also look here:
31 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml Also note, there is a
32 page somewhere that gives the best CFLAGs but I can't find it. Still
33 looking tho.
34
35 Dale
36