From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS changes
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:43:55
1 Dale wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 >> Hello,
6 >> Current CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
9 >> I want to add "-fomit-frame-pointer" to my
10 >> CFLAGS on an existing system that has been running
11 >> for months.
14 >> Is this safe or do I have to rebuild everything with
15 >> somelike "emerge -e" ?
18 >> Should it be avoided completely?
19 >>
20 >> James
24 > Not sure if the flag is safe but I don't think portage will pick up on
25 > changes to CFLAGS. You will have to do a emerge -e for all the
26 > packages to be compiled with the new setting.
27 >
28 > You could also just change it and let the packages update over time as
29 > they get upgraded. I don't think that will cause any problems.
30 >
31 > You can also look here:
32 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml Also note, there is
33 > a page somewhere that gives the best CFLAGs but I can't find it.
34 > Still looking tho.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
38 > :-) :-) :-)
39
40 I found it. This is not the "official" Gentoo site so use your own
41 judgment or ask here before changing the settings.
42
43 http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
44
45 Hope that helps.