From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP and Problematic IP addreses
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:29:51
1 On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 12:01 +0100, Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 > Hi Ow,
3 > on Tuesday, 2006-01-17 at 13:22:06, you wrote:
4 > > I have a problem in which the DHCP server assigns a Bad IP address to
5 > > me. (miss pings, long delays etc..)
6 > >
7 > > Short of waiting close 24 hours (and hoping that that address is not
8 > > given back to me again!), is there any way to reject some IP addreses it
9 > > provides to me?
10 >
11 > you have a DHCP server you don't control (@work?)
12
13 Yes.
14 > and it's not giving
15 > you the IP you want but something else---"abd" in what way?
16
17 it's giving me an IP, just not a good One. (upstream connection is bad)
18
19 > And it
20 > remembers your PCMCIA card's MAC address...
21 That's the DHCP lease.
22
23 > so you have another port in
24 > your laptop and want to use that instead?
25
26 No. I would like to get another IP which is not the problematic one.
29 > I'd think if the DHCP server gives you an andress that doesn't work in
30 > your subnet then it's a server configuration issue and should be fixed
31 > there.
32
33 yeah.. Unfortunately, I have no administrative control over it. :-(
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list