From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP and Problematic IP addreses
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:10:46
1 Hi Ow,
2 on Wednesday, 2006-01-18 at 09:22:06, you wrote:
3 > > you have a DHCP server you don't control (@work?)
4 >
5 > Yes.
6 > > and it's not giving
7 > > you the IP you want but something else---"abd" in what way?
8 >
9 > it's giving me an IP, just not a good One. (upstream connection is bad)
10
11 Well, what exactly is wrong with this IP? Is it from a different subnet?
12 Or is it just that the router isn't set correctly, so you see all other
13 machines in the local net but can't get out? Or does the router refuse
14 to route packets from parts of the subnet and you get an address in this
15 part?
16
17 > > I'd think if the DHCP server gives you an andress that doesn't work in
18 > > your subnet then it's a server configuration issue and should be fixed
19 > > there.
20 >
21 > yeah.. Unfortunately, I have no administrative control over it. :-(
22
23 If you tell the guy in charge that you'll use a static IP as long as he
24 doesn't get the server fixed, I think that will be a motivation :)
25
26 Sorry for the late reply!
27 cheers,
28 Matthias
29 --
30 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
31 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665