From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:58:25
1 On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 >> Hi, Dirk, Hi, List!
4 >>
5 >> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Dirk Uys wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> - Update the grub.conf to pass the correct root. (btw, does anyone use
8 >>> anything other than grub these days?)
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Yes. I use LILO. My lilo.conf traces its ancestry back to my original
12 >> Linux installation, SuSE 5.3.
13 >>
14 >> Why? Because learning grub would take time. Maybe not very much time,
15 >> but it would take some. By contrast, although learning LILO took a very
16 >> great deal of time, that time is already spent, and can never more be got
17 >> back. Putting an extra entry into lilo.conf and regenerating the boot
18 >> loader now takes, at most, a few minutes.
19 >>
20 >> But if the motivation of your question is simplifying Gentoo by leaving
21 >> out LILO, that wouldn't bother me at all. While I've still got a Debian
22 >> on my PC, I can use it to lie low, and when I need to learn grub, no big
23 >> deal. In fact, by the time I get to learn grub, it will, in its turn,
24 >> probably have been superseded by something else. :-)
27 >>> Regards
28 >>> Dirk
29 >>>
34 > I started out with Lilo too. I can't recall why I switched but I did.
35 > Grub is so much easier than Lilo. I have no regrets with switching and
36 > would only use Lilo if it was all that was available.
37 >
38 > The biggest thing to learn is the way the drives are listed. It uses
39 > (hd0,0) and such. It's really not that hard once you get how it does it.
40 > Also, it is real easy to switch to a older kernel at the grub boot
41 > screen. Just edit the boot line and let it rip. You can also edit other
42 > options for the boot line but changing kernels is the big one for me.
43 >
44 > It's a thought.
45
46 I have my grub menu set up with 2 kernel choices; one points
47 to/vmlinuz and the other points to /vmlinuz.old, that way i don't ever
48 have to edit anything. Comes in handy if the new kernel blows up :)