From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:50:55
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Dirk, Hi, List!
3 >
4 > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Dirk Uys wrote:
5 >
6 >> - Update the grub.conf to pass the correct root. (btw, does anyone use
7 >> anything other than grub these days?)
10 > Yes. I use LILO. My lilo.conf traces its ancestry back to my original
11 > Linux installation, SuSE 5.3.
12 >
13 > Why? Because learning grub would take time. Maybe not very much time,
14 > but it would take some. By contrast, although learning LILO took a very
15 > great deal of time, that time is already spent, and can never more be got
16 > back. Putting an extra entry into lilo.conf and regenerating the boot
17 > loader now takes, at most, a few minutes.
18 >
19 > But if the motivation of your question is simplifying Gentoo by leaving
20 > out LILO, that wouldn't bother me at all. While I've still got a Debian
21 > on my PC, I can use it to lie low, and when I need to learn grub, no big
22 > deal. In fact, by the time I get to learn grub, it will, in its turn,
23 > probably have been superseded by something else. :-)
26 >> Regards
27 >> Dirk
33 I started out with Lilo too. I can't recall why I switched but I did.
34 Grub is so much easier than Lilo. I have no regrets with switching and
35 would only use Lilo if it was all that was available.
36
37 The biggest thing to learn is the way the drives are listed. It uses
38 (hd0,0) and such. It's really not that hard once you get how it does it.
39 Also, it is real easy to switch to a older kernel at the grub boot
40 screen. Just edit the boot line and let it rip. You can also edit other
41 options for the boot line but changing kernels is the big one for me.
42
43 It's a thought.
44
45 Dale