From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:43:04
1 Hi, Dirk, Hi, List!
2
3 On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Dirk Uys wrote:
4 > - Update the grub.conf to pass the correct root. (btw, does anyone use
5 > anything other than grub these days?)
6
7 Yes. I use LILO. My lilo.conf traces its ancestry back to my original
8 Linux installation, SuSE 5.3.
9
10 Why? Because learning grub would take time. Maybe not very much time,
11 but it would take some. By contrast, although learning LILO took a very
12 great deal of time, that time is already spent, and can never more be got
13 back. Putting an extra entry into lilo.conf and regenerating the boot
14 loader now takes, at most, a few minutes.
15
16 But if the motivation of your question is simplifying Gentoo by leaving
17 out LILO, that wouldn't bother me at all. While I've still got a Debian
18 on my PC, I can use it to lie low, and when I need to learn grub, no big
19 deal. In fact, by the time I get to learn grub, it will, in its turn,
20 probably have been superseded by something else. :-)
21
22 > Regards
23 > Dirk
26 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).